Unique Beverly Hills Chihuahua CakesCreated this cute and unique 3-D seated Chihuahua dog on a 3 layer birthday sheet cake pyramid for my daughter's 9th birthday Aztec Chihuahua Party. Used both chocolate and vanilla cake recipes so kids would have their choice of flavors.
Be sure to check our all of our cute Chihuahua Gift Ideas, too!
Aztec Chihuahua Cake DirectionsChihuahua Dog Cake Baking Pans: Baking pans used for creating Chihuahua dog cake: 12" baking pan, 10" square sheet cake, 8" cake pan, 2 quart Pyrex mixing bowl (dog torso) and small Pyrex cruet (dog neck).
- Vanilla Layers: Lined all sheet cake pans with parchment paper. Made two triple layer vanilla cake recipes from the Soft as Silk cake flour box.
- Divided them between one 12" square sheet cake pan (or a 12" x 18" pan and trim it down after baking) and one 8" square baking pan.
Building an Aztec Pyramid Dog CakeCut out semi-circle from front edge of chocolate cake to create recessed chest area of the chihuahua dog. Made one triple layer Devil's Food Chocolate cake recipe from side of cake flour box and divided it between one 10" square sheet cake (for center layer), one 2 quart Pyrex mixing bowl (dog torso) and one small Pyrex cruet (dog neck).
- Note that Pyrex mixing bowl had to bake about an extra 20 minutes - touch center to test if it springs back to indicate it's done. Let cool and remove from pans according to directions.
- Place on a large wrapping paper covered piece of cardboard. Tuck pieces of wax paper just under the edges that can be removed when done frosting the cake.
Trimming Sides of Dog HeadTrim sides of larger form about 1" off each side. Split one of the trimmings in half vertically, placing one slightly back on each side of dog torso to create haunches.
- Seated Dog: To create the warrior dog sitting on top of pyramid layers, cut out semi-circle from front edge to create recessed chest area. Trim sides of larger form about 1" off each side. Split one of the trimmings in half vertically, placing one slightly back on each side of dog torso to create haunches. Discard (or eat) remaining trimmings. Use pretzel logs to add legs and paws. Add small cruet to top of torso, securing with frosting.
Layering the Chihuahua CakeAlternate chocolate and vanilla layers and add frosting in between. Mount dog on top. Frost with chocolate frosting.
- Paper Head: Wad up paper in the shape of a dog head. Tape to hold form. Tape on two large ears cut from card stock. Use two bamboo skewers to poke into bottom of head, then push into neck and torso cake forms to mount. This also helps to hold the whole cake together.
Creating the Chihuahua Dog Cake FormShape dog head out of paper. Add two large ears cut from card stock. Add pretzel stick legs, thin curled cardboard tail.
- Frost: Make buttercream frosting recipe and frost everything - white for pyramid, chocolate for dog - including the paper head and ears.
- Trims: Decorate with black gel or black construction paper to create eyes and nose. Create headdress from card stock on bamboo skewer, decorating with wrapping paper, construction paper, scrapbooking sheets, ribbon or whatever other colorful trims you have around.
- Finishing Touches: I decorated the edges of the temple with florets of frosting using a pastry bag, but you could use a plastic bag trimmed off at the corner.